- A tightly packed fist is required for maximum impact and to protect your hand.
- However, keeping your fists tight all the time will fatigue your arms and make your punches stiff and slow.
When to make a fist:
- The hand stays open until just before punch lands.
- Squeeze the fist on impact.
This takes a little practice but it will soon become second nature.
How to make a fist:
- Curl the fingers into the palm of your hand.
- Squeeze the thumb into the middle section of the index finger.
- The wrist stays straight. The bones of the hand and the forearm form a straight line.
- Land the punch with the middle knuckle or first two knuckles.
For more information on our classes and one to one boxing training in central Birmingham, go to our boxing page.