There are different ways to step with the jab, this is a quick step with the front foot only.
- By not standing in striking distance all the time, we can try to control when we engage and disengage.
- We can position ourselves just outside of striking distance, then step in and out of punching range just enough to land the jab, without over committing.
- We can use this technique to test our opponents reaction, find our range and set up other punches.
- Start by practising just the step.
- Step forward onto the ball of your foot and straight back to your stance.
- Don’t let your heel touch down.
- The foot should be like a spring, in and out of range.
- Then add the jab with the step.
For more information on our classes and one to one boxing training in central Birmingham, go to our boxing page.